While the summer is starting to come to an end, summer squash is still in full production! If you or someone you know has grown zucchini or yellow summer squash in their garden, you know what I am talking about. I’ve been lucky enough to have an abundance of zucchini and summer squash, which means it is time to try out new recipes! Zucchini, especially, can be used in a wide variety of recipes.
The list of recipes I can use zucchini for keeps going on and on… zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, quiche with zucchini, zucchini patties, zucchini salsa, and adding zucchini to many other staple recipes including stir-fry and marinara sauce. It makes me think about the Forrest Gump movie, when Bubba is talking about everything you can do with shrimp, “shrimp scampi, shrimp kabobs, etc”. The texture and taste of zucchini makes it a good fit for all types of recipes, and it increases the nutritional value!
If you are looking for a new way to use your summer squash, try this Summer Vegetable Salsa. This recipe is great go-to snack for warm summer days and a good appetizer to bring to game days as football season is gearing up!
Did you know…
- Zucchini is low in calories and is high in vitamin C and vitamin B-6?
- The darker the squash, the more nutrients it contains?
- Most of the nutrients are in the skin of the squash so you can get additional nutritional benefits by not peeling it?
- Zucchini is easy to store? You can freeze shredded zucchini in freezer bags to use at a later time.
Summer Vegetable Salsa
- Servings: 6
- Difficulty: easy
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper (optional), diced*
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix gently.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with corn chips, whole wheat pita chips, chicken or fish.
Note - Use caution when dicing the jalapeno pepper. It is recommended to wear latex gloves when handling jalapeno peppers, as the jalapeno juices can burn the skin.
Nutrition Information per Serving: Calories 25, Total Fat 0g, Saturated Fat 0g, Protein 1g, Total Carbohydrate 6g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sodium 198mg.
For more information visit: USDA SNAP-Ed Connection - Summer Squash