Multiple studies show that home-cooked meals nourish the spirit, brain and health of all family members. Preparing healthy and safe meals at home is made easy with new resources from Partnership for Food Safety Education and the Food Marketing Institute Foundation.
According to the Food Marketing Institute Foundation, there are many benefits to families making and sharing meals at home:
- The more meals families share, the better their nutrition.
- Kids and teens who eat meals with their families 4+ times per week earn better test scores and succeed in school.
- Frequent family meals increase self-esteem, sense of wellbeing, positive social behavior and stronger family connections.
- The more families share meals the less likely their kids are to drink, smoke or use marijuana.
September marks National Family Meals™ and Food Safety Education Month. Partnership for Food Safety Education has released four easy recipes that include food safety instructions and will support families in preparing family meals at home.
Check out these recipes for
- Rosemary Turkey Meatloaf
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
- Maple Syrup Pork Chops, and
- Tex-Mex Potato Skins.
Each recipe includes food safety built right in. Other resources at FightBac.org can get you started with family meal planning and with modeling for all family members important safe food handling and preparation behaviors.
Raise your mitt and commit to prepare one additional family meal per week. More information is available at National Family Meals Month™ and research on the benefits of family meals.